Record Wage Increases Begin Sunday Under Teamsters Historic Five-Year Agreement
8/25/2023- The Teamsters’ new National Master Agreement with UPS has officially gone into effect, protecting more than 340,000 full- and part-time workers, after an outstanding supplemental contract was resolved and ratified in Florida.
The LAI supplement for 174 members of Teamsters Local 769 was voted and successfully passed by affected workers Friday afternoon. Discussions between the Teamsters’ supplemental committee and UPS representatives cleared up questions from Local 769 members about benefits. The local supplement was overwhelmingly ratified 80-8 following the historic approval of the UPS Teamsters national agreement on Tuesday. Rank-and-file Teamsters ratified the five-year contract by a record 86.3 percent, tallying an unprecedented 58.1 percent voter turnout.
The National Master Agreement rewards UPS Teamsters by raising wages for everyone by no less than $7.50 per hour over the life of the contract, creating thousands of new full-time jobs, and securing important workplace protections, including air conditioning. It is the largest single-employer collective bargaining agreement in North America.
“Our union congratulates members of Local 769 for resolving their issues and swiftly ratifying the supplement to ensure immediate implementation of the national contract,” said Teamsters General President Sean M. O’Brien. “The Teamsters’ new agreement with UPS is a landmark contract for the labor movement and will improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of workers and their families. The historic gains that our entire union achieved to increase wages, protect and expand benefits, and strengthen working conditions will have positive and far-reaching effects for workers everywhere.”
New wage increases for 340,000 UPS Teamsters will take effect on Sunday, August 27. UPS will soon issue retroactivity checks to workers for the month of August.
8/22/2023-Five-Year UPS Teamster National Agreement Passes Overwhelmingly, One Supplement to Be Renegotiated
Today, Teamsters voted by an overwhelming 86.3 percent to ratify the most historic collective bargaining agreement in the history of UPS. The five-year contract protects and rewards more than 340,000 UPS Teamsters nationwide, raising wages for full- and part-time workers, creating more full-time jobs, and securing important workplace protections, including air conditioning.
The agreement passed by the highest vote for a contract in the history of the Teamsters at UPS.
VIEW FULL UPS TEAMSTERS VOTE RESULTS HERE
All supplemental agreements were ratified as well, except for the Local 769 LAI supplement which covers 174 members in Florida. The national master agreement will go into effect as soon as this supplement is renegotiated and ratified. The UPS Teamsters National Negotiating Committee will immediately meet with the company to work to resolve any outstanding issues with the supplement. Upon resolution, the adjusted supplement would be voted on by respective UPS Teamsters in-person in their area.
There are 44 supplements to the national master agreement. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE 2023-2028 UPS NATIONAL MASTER, WESTERN SUP, AND SW RIDERS CHANGES
“Our members just ratified the most lucrative agreement the Teamsters have ever negotiated at UPS. This contract will improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of workers,” said Teamsters General President Sean M. O’Brien. “Teamsters have set a new standard and raised the bar for pay, benefits, and working conditions in the package delivery industry. This is the template for how workers should be paid and protected nationwide, and nonunion companies like Amazon better pay attention.”
“This is the richest national contract I’ve seen in my more than 40 years of representing Teamsters at UPS,” said Teamsters General Secretary-Treasurer Fred Zuckerman. “There are more gains in this contract than in any other UPS agreement and with no givebacks to the company. But the hard work doesn’t end here. We will continue to fight like hell to enforce this contract and make sure UPS lives up to every word of it over the next five years.”
Highlights of the tentative 2023-2028 UPS Teamsters National Master Agreement include:
- Historic wage increases. Existing full- and part-time UPS Teamsters will get $2.75 more per hour in 2023. Over the length of the contract, wage increases will total $7.50 per hour.
- Existing part-timers will be raised to no less than $21 per hour immediately, and part-time seniority workers earning more under a market rate adjustment will still receive all new general wage increases.
- General wage increases for part-time workers will be double the amount obtained in the previous UPS Teamsters contract — and existing part-time workers will receive a 48 percent average total wage increase over the next five years.
- Wage increases for full-timers will keep UPS Teamsters the highest paid delivery drivers in the nation, improving their average top rate to $49 per hour.
- Current UPS Teamsters working part-time will receive longevity wage increases of up to $1.50 per hour on top of new hourly raises, compounding their earnings.
- New part-time hires at UPS will start at $21 per hour and advance to $23 per hour.
- All UPS Teamster drivers classified as 22.4s will be reclassified immediately to Regular Package Car Drivers and placed into seniority, ending the unfair two-tier wage system at UPS.
- Safety and health protections, including vehicle air conditioning and cargo ventilation. UPS will equip in-cab A/C in all larger delivery vehicles, sprinter vans, and package cars purchased after Jan. 1, 2024. Two fans, heat exhaust shields, and air induction vents in the cargo compartments will be retrofitted into all cars.
- All UPS Teamsters will receive Martin Luther King Day as a full holiday for the first time.
- No more forced overtime on Teamster drivers’ days off. Drivers will keep one of two workweek schedules and cannot be forced into overtime on scheduled off-days.
- UPS Teamster part-timers will have priority to perform all seasonal support work using their own vehicles with a locked-in eight-hour guarantee. For the first time, seasonal work will be contained to five weeks only from November-December.
- The creation of 7,500 new full-time Teamster jobs at UPS and the fulfillment of 22,500 open positions, establishing more opportunities through the life of the agreement for part-timers to transition to full-time work.
- More than 60 total changes and improvements to the National Master Agreement — more than any other time in Teamsters history — and zero concessions from the rank-and-file.
Last month, the UPS Teamsters National Negotiating Committee, as well as representatives of UPS Teamster locals in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, unanimously endorsed the agreement. UPS Teamsters voted electronically between August 3-22.